Spring CleanUp Part 2: April 26th
HENDERSON, Ky. 4/15/21- One section of the city has been completed and the second phase of Spring Cleanup is set for April 26.
Residences north of Second Street should have their items out for pickup no later than 7 a.m. on Monday, April 26.
The area will require several days for collection, so please be patient if you don’t see the debris removed right away. There is no need to call the Public Works Department to request pickup; crews will be canvassing the area.
Crews will be collecting on your street or alley ONE TIME, which makes it extremely important for residents to put out items for pickup by the 7 a.m.deadline.
Tree limbs, broken furniture and other large items that you would normally take to the landfill will be picked up during each phase, free of charge.
As usual, things that CANNOT be picked up in this project include: Tires, batteries, oil, paint, air conditioners and refrigerators.
Here are the guidelines:
- You are allowed one small pickup truck-size load of general household debris (typically such things as broken furniture, mattresses, etc.) and one small pickup truck-size load of yard debris, such as brush and limbs.
- Please do not mix junk with vegetative debris. The different types of materials will be ultimately deposited in different locations. If they are mixed, the city will be forced to send it all to the landfill, which costs taxpayers a lot more.
- You should place your debris on the ground (not on a trailer) in the general area of your weekly trash collection, but please keep it away from fences, buildings, poles, fire hydrants and other structures so equipment can pick it up without obstacles. Larger piles can also be placed at curbside on your street if your weekly trash collection is on an alley.
- There is NO NEED to call Public Works to get your address put on a pickup list. City crews will go through the city street-by-street and alley-by-alley one time. Make sure you have your items available by Monday, April 26 (if you live north of Second Street) and be patient while crews work their way to your area.
- If you miss the Monday morning deadline or if you have more than a small pickup truck-size load, you can call Public Works to request pickup, but a cost will be associated with that special pickup. If you need to schedule that type of pickup, call Public Works at 270-831-1224. You can also call that number with questions.
- Also at a cost, you can always dispose of items yourself. The landfill hours are 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
The annual event is for residential users, and not for vacant property, commercial use or construction/demolition projects.
“If citizens will abide by these guidelines, the cleanup of each area will go a lot faster,” said Public Works Director Brian Williams. “Our intention is to go over every street and every alley as we work our way through. Our crew members know our streets really well. But, please, should we happen to miss one, give Public Works a call at 270-831-1224.”