Funding For Juneteenth Approved by City and County | Board of Commissioners
Henderson, Ky 4/26/22– The City of Henderson Board of Commissioners approved $2,500 in one-time funding to help launch a community Juneteenth celebration that will take place June 19 in Central Park during its regular meeting on Tuesday, April 26th.
The funding matched the amount also approved Tuesday by Henderson County Fiscal Court at its meeting. The Juneteenth celebration is a collaboration of a Henderson Leadership Initiative project group, the Henderson-Henderson County Human Rights Commission, the Henderson Community College diversity program office and the local NAACP.
The city commission board also:
- Finalized an ordinance that sets regulations for recreational vehicles and recreational vehicle communities.
- Heard a proclamation showcasing the City’s celebration of Arbor Day, which will take place Friday, April 29th, at 4PM in Atkinson Park. Parks Director Trace Stevens noted that the city has received “Tree City USA” designation for the 26th year and gave a report about recent tree plantings in the city, including in downtown.
- Held a public hearing to review and hear appeals from outside agencies who made requests for funding in the next budget cycle.
- Awarded bids for stop loss insurance coverage, and for asphalt and concrete for city projects.
- Approved a change order for the Community Development Block Grant project on Adams Street. The change will be covered by grant funding.
- Closed a portion of the public right-of-way along Eighth Street to support a redevelopment project.
- Heard a presentation from Dr. Wanda Peralta of River Valley Behavioral Health about new programming they will be offering for at-risk youth and recovery for women, both supported by federal funding.
- On the consent agenda, approved: Three sets of minutes; a municipal order awarding interior and exterior painting at various City of Henderson facilities; and a municipal order amending the Henderson Water Utility agreement for water and wastewater agreement with Pratt Paper.
The date for the next regular meeting for the City Board of Commissioners is May 11th, @3PM. It will take place in the third-floor Assembly Room of the Henderson Municipal Center.
HENDERSON HOT TOPICS…