City Commission Meeting | ‘Paid Leave’ for Vaccinated Employees Approved
HENDERSON, KY 7/28/21 – The City of Henderson Board of Commissioners approved a municipal order providing vaccinated employees with paid COVID-19 leave at the regular meeting on Tuesday, July 27. Should vaccinated employees test positive for the virus, they will be provided with two weeks of paid leave. The provision was presented as an incentive for city employees to be vaccinated.
In other business, the commission:
- Heard a presentation from 14-year-old Jax Matthews proposing the adoption of a new city flag. He presented the city with a flag containing his design.
- The board went into executive session jointly with Henderson Fiscal Court and the Henderson Water-Sewer Commission to talk about an economic development prospect after which no action was taken.
- Approved a municipal order authorizing a deed of easement between the city and Mosaic Corp. for a Municipal Gas system improvement that’s connected to the Kentucky 425 extension.
- Finalized an ordinance that regulates recreational fires and fire pits. The clarifies materials that may be burned in a recreational fire and when a permit is required.
- Passed first readings of ordinances refinancing some 2012 bonds and redeeming 2011 bonds, amending an ordinance that regulates the appeals process time frame when someone is in violation of the fire prevention and protection ordinance and amending the fine schedule governed by the Code Enforcement Board.
- Authorized the submission of a grant by Henderson City-County Airport Board.
- Heard a presentation from Tourist Commission Executive Director Abby Dixon on how local tourism has fared during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Presented Cindy Phillips of Henderson Fire Department with a 30-year service pin and Brian Williams, Public Works director, with a 20-year service pin.
Cindy started her career on July 15, 1991 at the switch board in the city building. During her time with the city, she has served in several different roles, including secretary senior for the city clerk/engineering department, secretary senior at the Henderson Police Department for 14 years and then she moved to the Henderson Fire Department where she is now.
The next city commission meeting is set for Tuesday, Aug. 10th at 3PM.